Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Your Baby - General Chat
  5. Anyone else needed surgery while bf?

Anyone else needed surgery while bf? Rss

Hi all smile it has been ages since I have posted bub is 11months old now smile was wondering if any bf mums have had to have surgery (having my gallbladder out) and how bub went away from you? I am a little worried as dd won't take a bottle or dummy:)
I haven't, but is bub likely to take a sippy bottle like a take'n'toss one or a straw bottle?
She does sometimes smile that makes me feel a little better ,just worried she won't sleep as she falls asleep on breast
Haven't been there, just wanted to say good luck!

How long will you have to be away from her?

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

I had my gallbladder out when DD1 was about 15 months and still feeding. I stayed in overnight so she missed her night time feed and then had a very late morning feed (think it was about 10am when they got to the hospital when she'd normally have had a feed around 6-7am). She coped ok but was really clingy for a few days afterwards and upped her feeds for a little while after I'd had the operation.

Leisa.
Zinkles wrote:
Haven't been there, just wanted to say good luck!

How long will you have to be away from her?

Thanks smile it is just over night will be going in between now and February
leisah wrote:
I had my gallbladder out when DD1 was about 15 months and still feeding. I stayed in overnight so she missed her night time feed and then had a very late morning feed (think it was about 10am when they got to the hospital when she'd normally have had a feed around 6-7am). She coped ok but was really clingy for a few days afterwards and upped her feeds for a little while after I'd had the operation.

Leisa.

Thanks for the warning leisa smile I did not think about dd being clingy :/ I was worried about her not sleeping and just crying alnight lol
You are going to be away for one night and worried about your 11 month old crying all night. Don't worry there will be no long term damage even if she does cry all night (not that I wish that).

Does she have a sleep association with bf? If you want to get her out of that habit read up on some sleep tips or go to a sleep school - it usually takes about 3 days to a week to break (and the first 3 days are usually not without tears).
Thanks mrs Claus ???? will look into it
I had to go in for surgery when bubs was four months old. I was put in the maternity ward to recover so I had bubs with me. She just stayed the night with me. She missed just one feed as I fed her before I went in, and then about 6 hours later. She took an expressed bottle reluctantly while I still had medication in my system.

If you talk to your surgeon and anesthetist, they can help you out. It isn't a huge deal and hospitals are very accommodating to breast feeding mother.

Clax wrote:
I had to go in for surgery when bubs was four months old. I was put in the maternity ward to recover so I had bubs with me. She just stayed the night with me. She missed just one feed as I fed her before I went in, and then about 6 hours later. She took an expressed bottle reluctantly while I still had medication in my system.

If you talk to your surgeon and anesthetist, they can help you out. It isn't a huge deal and hospitals are very accommodating to breast feeding mother.

Thanks clax smile
I was rushed off with a suspected stroke, turned out to be Bell's palsy, I knew it wasn't that bad but the nurse on call dudes are scare mongers eh. Any whoooo, baby was fine with my mum, my lord my boobs though. Take your pump in for sure. GL with your surgey.
Sign in to follow this topic