Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Sick bub and out of ideas Rss

Hi all.

I currently have a sick and grumpy little girl who is usually very content and happy even when playing by herself.
She if very congested and has the most awful, deepest and croakiest cough along with a very runny nose.
It gets worse at night as she will lose her breath throughout a coughing fit. We have been to the doctors twice and both times sent away because she isn't running a temp.
I've done everything I can think of to help her but nothing seems to be doing the trick.
- I've got the vapourizer on every night
- Have elevated her cot mattress up one end
- Using childrens panadol as well as Fess Saline Nosedrops
- Put her in the bottom of the shower as I was told the steam would help break it up although I didn't see the point as I was already using a vapourizer.

Is there anything else I can try?
I was thinking of taking her into the childrens hospital but I don't want to be sitting there for hours on end just to be told what we have already been told twice...just ride it out.

She will be 8 months old next week
Thanks in advance
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. smile

I have always found with my daughter that the vapouriser and tilting of mattress help enormously.

It does feel as if it will go on forever but they do get better.

Don't hesitate to go to the hospital or another doctor if you are unsure.

I don't want it to seem like I am giving medical advice here but I find Nurofen works better for night time as it is longer lasting. My daughter sleeps alot better when she is unwell if she has had Nurofen rather than Panadol.
It is hard when they're sick & there's no quick fix unfortunately.

Some things Ive learnt are
avoid cold drinks, it makes the nose more congested
keep the fluids up, small regular ammounts are helpful
You could try baby vics rub, sometimes works & sometimes doesnt
A warm bath before bed can help her feel abit more comfortable & relaxed.
And I agree with The Good Wife, Nurofen works abit better for our kids too for the bad illnesses & it lasts longer too.

Different doctors can have different opinions. Just because one says its nothing serious, doesnt mean they're right. If you're still unsure, seek a 2nd opinion.

If she's having trouble breathing, dont hesitate about going to emergency.

Good luck, I hope she's better soon!!
I could have written the exact same thing about my six month old. I took her to the doctor as well and told its a virus and she will just have to ride it out. We have been riding it out now for over two weeks and she still isnt any better. Hopefully she will be better soon.
Thank you for all your advice I forgot to mention I was using vicks too had it on her back, chest and feet (I still don't understand how it works on feet but they say it is good)
We have been to two different docs who have both said the same thing.
gave nurofen a shot tonight instead of panadol she went down without a fuss at 7pm and haven't heard a peep out of her so fingers crossed we all get some sleep tonight!!
You are all wonderful

Thank you for all your advice I forgot to mention I was using vicks too had it on her back, chest and feet (I still don't understand how it works on feet but they say it is good)
We have been to two different docs who have both said the same thing.
gave nurofen a shot tonight instead of panadol she went down without a fuss at 7pm and haven't heard a peep out of her so fingers crossed we all get some sleep tonight!!
You are all wonderful

Great news!!
Sign in to follow this topic