Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Traditional cloth nappies Rss

SO Im wondering if anyone uses the traditional cloth nappies any more? my partner and I have bought some from big w, but i noticed that the packs were covered in dust, must have been on the shelf for a while. I personally dont want to waste heaps of money on disposables for our little girl who is due on 12 weeks. Are there any cleaning and care tips for these? I remember my mum using them for my little brother and she taught me how to use them and how to fold them. any idea how many i would need? we have 36.
Hi I tried these when my now 23mth old was 4 months, but couldn't get the hang of them, then I discovered modern cloth nappies, and I love them. Shaped like a disposible, no folding,pins or plastic covers, plus there much better than towelling as towelling does'nt let bubs skin breath leading to nappy rash. If your on facebook take a look at these links https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/buysellmcn/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/fluffybuns.baby.boutique https://www.facebook.com/#!/DarlingsDownunder there are so many online stores that sell them, mums that make them at home to sell, and discusion forums too.

jade82

hi I alway intended to use cloth nappies until I looked into the actual cost of how you are meant to clean them etc.

I did however use the cloth nappies heaps for things other than the bottom, great to fold into 4 and put in bassinette so if they do a spill or wet through you just change the nappy rather than change the sheets, I use them to throw over shoulder when purping to avoice wearing the spills and sometiems would lay them down on them on the floor and in the early days i wrapped DD in them for bed.

I also worked for a company years ago that makes disposables (not that I use there ones these days, I use the competitions lol) and they had done a lot of research in regards to the cost of disposables vs cloth napies.

By the time you buy the nappies which aint cheap, the liners to go in them stuff to soak them in, wash them in, power to wash and they normally say to use warm or hot water(a modern website i just looked up said 60 degrees) then the dryer if you need to get them dry quickly especially in winter and when its wet then it ends up just as cheap to buy the disposables so I gave the disposables ago and ended up sticking with them.

Never had nappy rash with my DD and they are alot quicker and easier.

My friend had her bubs last year and brought some of the shapped cloth nappies with the intention to use them, she used some disposables while in hospital and tried to use cloth when got home but just realised how much
easier disposables were, she was busy enough as it was with there washing and now bubs clothes and all the other things that go on with having a new baby.

But if you do want to use cloth then good on you they are much better for the enviornment. This is what I know about them but I havent seen anyone do it for years so might be out of date. I did google it and there are lots of intstructions online, main thing I think is the hot water.

Purchase liners from the supermarket these go inside the nappy against babys skin. When used take liner out and dispose of poos down toilet, liner goes in bin nappy goes in a nappy bucket, you can buy nappy buckets they have lids to soak them in and normally you put something like napisan in with them overnight then wash in hot water and dry.

If you are going to use cloth, I would suggest having a packet of disposables in the cupboard just incase you run out and cant get dry or you have an extremely busy day, are not well etc that way you wont be stuck.

Good luck for the arrival of your bubs, not long to go
I used them constantly when DS was newborn as burp cloths, for cleaning up spills, under his bum for nappy changes etc. Still use them for nappy changes. We have used disposables the whole time and I always buy them on sale. I do feel bad about creating so much landfill but I just found the cloth ones to be really stinky, the babies of my friends who did use them always seemed to smell like wee. (If you hang them on the line in the sun, it will whiten them and get stains out).
I would say if you are using them, I would still highly recommend using disposables at night particularly as baby gets older. Then you won't have to worry as much about leaks. And also I would use disposables when they are newborn, so many changes a day it is not funny and you probably won't want the extra stress of all that washing smile

I chagned my DD around 8 times a day when she was younger, and if she was finding it hard to go poos and would do a bit then you change her and she do another little bit some days i went through 10-12 nappies the fun of being a mum lol

But normally around 8 a day so also I would definitely buy more than 36, buy 2 packets if you are going to do these nappies and if you dont use them all for the bottom you can use them for the other things suggested smile
I used a mixture of disposable and Modern Cloth Nappies, but each to their own, and if your preference is TCN then thats great.

My mother and grandmother ONLY used TCN's and they both had 12 nappies per baby - minimum! They never ran out as they always kept up with the washing as they were both stay at home mums. There wasn't an alternative for them, however they both have said the babies had lots and lots of nappy free time. Like a PP said, try them with liners on the inside so less cleaning to do.

Best of luck to you.

i used disposable first , then cloth.
Cheeky monkey nappies five bucks each. off ebay an australian seller was great to deal with.
I have twenty.
we use about eight to ten a day.
I hose poo off with spray tap. then hang in sun which gets stains out of them
no fabric softners no soaking..
just put them in a bucket then each morning i wash
very easy
80 bucks and i am done! no nappy rash either well not much.

best thing I ever did along with breastfeeding !! putting some time and effort in for your loved one makes me feel like I am giving her the best!!
[b][quote name='mummymeg' date='11 March 2012 - 08:22 AM' timestamp='1331454162' post='3155573']
hi I alway intended to use cloth nappies until I looked into the actual cost of how you are meant to clean them etc.

I did however use the cloth nappies heaps for things other than the bottom, great to fold into 4 and put in bassinette so if they do a spill or wet through you just change the nappy rather than change the sheets, I use them to throw over shoulder when purping to avoice wearing the spills and sometiems would lay them down on them on the floor and in the early days i wrapped DD in them for bed.

I also worked for a company years ago that makes disposables (not that I use there ones these days, I use the competitions lol) and they had done a lot of research in regards to the cost of disposables vs cloth napies.

By the time you buy the nappies which aint cheap, the liners to go in them stuff to soak them in, wash them in, power to wash and they normally say to use warm or hot water(a modern website i just looked up said 60 degrees) then the dryer if you need to get them dry quickly especially in winter and when its wet then it ends up just as cheap to buy the disposables so I gave the disposables ago and ended up sticking with them. [quote]
[/b]

Do you really think a disposable nappy company is going to realistically cost cloth versus disposables..... blink

I can tell you from someone who has used cloth full time for 2 kids - I have saved a s.h.i.t. load of money. wink You can buy the nappies second hand - you don't have to buy the most expensive nappy on the market. The 12 for $25 from big w flat terry nappies worked brilliantly. I would have spent $50 on them for 2 kids.

You don't have to use liners, but if you do chux work just as well. I also used microfleece which is about $5m. You DON'T soak cloth nappies. It shortens their life span, it leaves chemical residue in the cloth and it doesn't benefit them in any way. You can dry them in the dryer (and I do) in winter. Even if you dry them 3 times a week at $3 a load (which is more then it would cost) it is still cheaper then buying disposables. Also, my kid only had nappy rash with disposables.

So yeah if you buy the most expensive cloth nappies you can and buy the most expensive washing detergent, the most expensive soaking detergent, wash it on the hottest temperature and then dry them in the dryer, you might come out paying the same amount as disposables....
In reality though, I have 2 kids - both who have been in cloth full time. (although dd1 started full time when she was 6 months - before that part time while I built my stash) and I have spent a total of maybe $300 on actual nappies and I have close to 50 nappies. (not including the flats) Maybe $20 on liners. Detergent I use a tablespoon of powder per wash. I wash 3/4 times a week and I dry in the dryer in emergencies and winter. Methinks your costing is a little out. wink

to the op - I like the terry flat nappies. You can use them newborn to toddler. Use a snappi to hold them. Invest in a couple of wool covers ($20-$40 each) or a PUL cover. ($15 each)

how to fold http://iownappies.co.uk/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20Terry%20Folds.pdf

all the best!
Thanks guys, your opinions are all great smile We bought 3 packets of the ones that big w sells for $20 each, so at the moment we have 36. My main focus is to try and do something for the environment and I figure if my mum found the time to wash cloth nappies then I can find the time too. I also cannot see myself being able to afford the alternatives of disposables or modern cloth nappies. Im guessing that if she has around 8-10 nappy changes a day then I will only have to wash nappies every 2 days, although with how ocd i can be i will probably end up washing every day.
I don't use TCN's but I do use MCN's. You can buy cheap ones which are just as good as the expensive ones. Have a look at these ones Modern Cloth Nappies by Renee

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

I tried your traditional cloth nappies when i had ds, i found that i could never get them right, i would stab myself with the pins and thought i had them up tight enough but they would always fall down (i am really unco) But for dd1 & dd2 i used modern cloth nappies where there are no pins etc. They are a little more expensive straight up but i love them.

I tried your traditional cloth nappies when i had ds, i found that i could never get them right, i would stab myself with the pins and thought i had them up tight enough but they would always fall down (i am really unco) But for dd1 & dd2 i used modern cloth nappies where there are no pins etc. They are a little more expensive straight up but i love them.

hi, you don't need to use pins, you can use a snappi which is a plastic stretchy thing with gripping teeth. No stabbing necessary!
Sign in to follow this topic