Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Your Baby - General Chat
  5. Really dissapointed in her

Really dissapointed in her Lock Rss

Ok, well I'm an ex-smoker, when I found out I was pregnant I cut down to 2/day until I was around 12 weeks then cut it out completely, When DD was born I couldn't think of anything worse than exposing her to cigarette smoke. My sister has just had her second bub & smoked heavily throughout her pregnancy, I'm talking 15 - 20/day, since she's had her she hasn't cut down & we spend less time together as she just wants to sit outside & smoke & it's just to hard to be around it. The other day I went to visit her & she obviously didn't hear me come up to the house & there she was.. breastfeeding her DD & smoking!!! I am so dissapointed in her, don't get me wrong I know there are great mums out there who smoke but that doesn't mean you actively expose your kids to it by basically blowing it in their face! I was so shocked that I made an excuse to leave & didn't say anything but I just can't get over it, what would anyone else do? would you say something? Or should i just butt out because she's her mother & I should mind my own business?
Given that she's your sister & bub's your niece I would be saying something. That's so wrong on many levels. Poor bubba sad
Go to a Dr, get a pamphlet on the effects of smoking on young kids including the added risk of SIDs and give it to her.
She needs to realise she's harming her kids by her dirty habit.

And good on you for quitting!!

I agree with the PP. You should say something, she's your sister so you should be able to talk to her about things like this. How does her partner feel about her smoking? I hope the chat goes well and she understands that your just looking out for your neice. You did such a great thing for your DD by quitting!

[size="4"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Each to their own - it is afteall her house - not yours...drop subtle hints if she can't take it straight from the hip. Not that i agree with her as I quit when I knew I was pregnant and still choose not to smoke as I am BF.
good luck[/size][/font]
My sis is incredibly sensitive, we lost both our parents to cancer (not smoking related) in the last 5 years & she says she can't cope without the smokes. Her husband is a very heavy smoker too & don't know how he feels about it. I just don't want her to think I am attacking her but I want her to know how serious the effects she could be having on her DD, I'm an RN & have seen little bubs come in with bronchiolitis & the like because of smoke exposure & it makes me so worried for her DD, guess I just bite the bullet or bite my tongue..
I guess that does change things. You'll just have to go easy on her and let her know you have her and bubs best interest at heart and that you don't want to cause any trouble. If her partner is a heavy smoker aswell then it is probably going to be harder for her to give up if she decides to. Maybe you could talk to them both at the same time if you have a good relationship with him.

Since you are an RN wouldn't she listen to you? Surely she'd know that you'd deal with smoke related cases and speak the truth?
If I had your experiences and training I'd definitely be saying something. Better to say it straight up then regret it later if her child is rushed to hospital because of all the smoke she was inhaling.

And they may not believe what propaganda on smoking around kids says, maybe they do need someone with first hand experience to shock them into, hopefully, cutting back or smoking away from the child.

And since you've lost your parents, my sincerest condolences, shouldn't that make her want to be around for her kid/s?

Definitely talk to her. It's very nearly as bad for bubba as it is for your sister, as passive smoking doesn't mean there are any less chemicals in the smoke.
Try to talk to her partner as well... inspire them with your own story?
If they really can't give up, give them pointers on how to make it safer for their baby, eg. only smoke outside, away from bubba, things like that.
Good luck with your sister!

My sis is incredibly sensitive, we lost both our parents to cancer (not smoking related) in the last 5 years & she says she can't cope without the smokes. Her husband is a very heavy smoker too & don't know how he feels about it. I just don't want her to think I am attacking her but I want her to know how serious the effects she could be having on her DD, I'm an RN & have seen little bubs come in with bronchiolitis & the like because of smoke exposure & it makes me so worried for her DD, guess I just bite the bullet or bite my tongue..

Surely she could wait for a smoke till after feeding. Jeez. Im a smoker but not to that extreme. Does she smoke in the car then? Probably....
Sign in to follow this topic