Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Your Baby - General Chat
  5. Cloth V's Disposable nappies

Cloth V's Disposable nappies Rss

Hi all

I was just wondering what everyones opinions are when it comes to cloth nappies?? have you used them and did you like them?? Is it true that you should use disposable until your child is 6 months old?? and also...how do you clean them? I have heard about "strip wash" what is this??

Anything you can tell me about this would be great!

Thanks in advance!!
Hi hun,

What type of cloth nappies are you thinking of?

I use Modern Cloth Nappys with my girl and have found them to be fantastic! We were using disposables but when we thought about it we decided to spend the initial outlay and get the package. I dont regret changing one bit! Especially coz we have another one on the way. SO we are planning on using them from birth with the next one.

The ones i use are GroVia (same mob who make the Grobags) and i highly recommend.

But if your talking about good old cloth nappies then i cant help lol i hope this helps you!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks!! I actually found a site...designer bums...and they make the new modern cloth pocket nappies...I thought in the long run it would end up being cheaper than using disposables!
any tips on washing them??
Line the nappy with a liner from Woolies, or chux cloths cut in half work well too. There are flushable liners available from some places, but they are a bit more expensive.

When you change the nappy, rinse it and pop it in a lidded bucket. You don't need water in it at all. Sprinkling a bit of bi carb over each nappy when you put it in will help stop it getting too stinky (just check 1st that the nappy manufacturer hasn't said bi carb is a no-no). You can also get "Pail Powder" from Rockin' Green which is more expensive but will stop the stinks too.

Try to wash every day/every second day. If you leave them too long the wee will ruin the nappies.

Tip them into your machine and do a cold pre-wash or pre-rinse (no powder). Wash them in a cold/cool/warm wash (not hot - it will ruin the waterproof cover) with half as much powder/liquid as you normally would for a load that size or soapnuts. Don't use fabric softener as it will clog up the nappies and stop them being absorbent. Do an extra rinse when the wash is finished. Also, don't use bleach or vinegar because that wrecks the waterproof covers too. You can buy a special nappy washing powder from Rockin' Green. I have used it and it was good, but I find Earth and Eco Store just as effective without the high cost.

Dry in the sun whenever possible.

If your nappies get really stinky or start leaking, do a strip wash. Wash them in hot water with a squirt of dishwashing liquid (top loader only) or a tablespoon of bi carb. Keep rinsing until all the suds are gone. Don't do strip washes too often though or you'll wreck them!

Oh, no zinc based bum creams either, they also clog up the absorbency!

You can use them from birth, and some companies make teeny sizes for new borns. I have Tots Bots, Bonnibuns and Bums Ups. The Bonnibuns I love, love, love. The Bums Ups are great. The Tots Bots are OK.

I hope that helps smile
Hi, I used them from about 4 months with my first (as that was when she fit into the ones I had!) and from birth for dd2.
I use a mix of modern and the good old terry flats. Don't be scared of them! They are very cheap, effective and easy to fold. (and can be used for all ages)

Just put used nappies into a dry lidded bucket. Put poo in toilet. (use flushable liners if you want when you know bubs is likely to poo) do a wash every couple of days.

to wash: put in machine, cold water, 1/4 - 1/2 amount of your normal detergent. rinse very well. dry in the sun - this kills any germs and bleaches stains.

DO NOT soak in napisan or products like this as it will wear out your nappy faster. You can dry in dryer but this will also wear your nappy out faster. (although I do it in winter otherwise we have no nappies as they take a few days to dry here!)

There is no problem at all with babies before 6 months wearing cloth. That might be more to do with letting mum get the hang of everything without the extra load of washing.

All very easy and saves HEAPS of money. and its very addictive!
We have both types, i mainly use throw outs but on the odd occasion i will put her in the modern cloth ones. I find that my bub wets through them pretty fast that was my only issue with them. Easily fixed by changing more often obviously i just found that the throw outs lasted a bit longer and held through the night where as the cloth ones for me didnt hold through the night with bub.

You can get some great ones these days though, my type that i bought she said just to rinse and throw in the washing machine and not to use softener as it will stop them being so absorbent.

Hi all

I was just wondering what everyones opinions are when it comes to cloth nappies?? have you used them and did you like them?? Is it true that you should use disposable until your child is 6 months old?? and also...how do you clean them? I have heard about "strip wash" what is this??

Anything you can tell me about this would be great!

Thanks in advance!!

I haven't used them. I don't like the idea of cleaning them, mostly because of the time factor but also because of the ick factor. I feel like I'm busy enough without having to scrape poop out of nappies and wash them. Plus I didn't like the idea of that going through my wash as well as DDs clothes. I aslo worried that if I hadn't kept up with the washing of them I might find myself running out right when I need them. Or how does it work when you go out?

seems like alot of work to me.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I haven't used them. I don't like the idea of cleaning them, mostly because of the time factor but also because of the ick factor. I feel like I'm busy enough without having to scrape poop out of nappies and wash them. Plus I didn't like the idea of that going through my wash as well as DDs clothes. I aslo worried that if I hadn't kept up with the washing of them I might find myself running out right when I need them. Or how does it work when you go out?

seems like alot of work to me.

Hi NoDdy,
You don't wash them with poo all over them. You get rid of it first! You can just buy a roll of liners or use a chux, or make some fleece liners. they just catch the poo and you chuck it straight in the toilet.
technically,you are meant to get rid of the poo from disposable nappies before you bin them....but i have never met anybody that does. roll eyes
you are right, if you don't keep up with the washing you will run out when you need them. you either make sure you have an ample supply, rinse and wash with the clothes, let your bub have nappy free time while they dry,or use a disposable to tide you over. its not the end of the world. you find a way! besides you get into a routine and it doesn't happen often. it would happen if you have very few. you can also run out of disposables if you aren't organised!

when you go out you take some nappies and take a wet bag.i also take a lunchbox with damp wipes (water and olive oil)

very easy and not much extra work. besides, when it saves so much money its well worth it. its like takeaway is much easier then cooking but you cook because its a waste of money to have takeaway everynight.so even though theres a little extra work involved - people do it without thinking!
its maybe 3/4 extra loads a week.
Thanks for all the advice...its defiantly something to think about and look more into!!
I used disposables with my first, as I thought cloth were too messy, too time consuming etc and I took my son travelling to see family a lot as my husband and I live in a rural town and my family is a few hours away.

With my second, we were a much more cash poor, and buying nappies for two children was killing us, so I toilet trained our two year old and put our 5 month old daughter in to cloth nappies. And they are great!

I haven't noticed much extra washing, I just rinse them and then leave them in a bucket with bi-carb soda until I am ready to wash them, and then just put them in a load with other things.

I use bum-ware and Pikapu nappies. They are both great, Pikapu are roomy, soft and hold wetness really well. Bum-ware are a US brand, made at home by mums, and I bought them online direct from the states with the great US/AUS dollar ratio atm! They have great service and they are less bulky than other brands, so fit better under clothes yet still hold a lot of wees without leeking.

I am a total convert, and love my cloth nappies now. I still can't believe I didn't use them with my first as they are so easy if you get the all-in-ones and you save SOOOOO much money compared to disposables!

Hope that helps!

Sign in to follow this topic