Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Babies flying... Rss

My daughter and I are going on a little adventure to vist family this month. My daughter is 13 months. Has your baby ever been in a plane? and did they cope okay?
Yes we have and no they didn't cope.
Might I suggest having something on hand that she can chew. The high altitude causes their ears to pop (if that makes sense). Can cause discomfit for them.
All my kids have flown and all of them coped remarkably well. When they start pressurising the plane I give them a drink (bottle/sippy cup/age appropriate). My eldest usually falls asleep within a few minutes of the plane being airborne, my middle daughter usually falls asleep as soon as the plane starts accelerating to take off, and my youngest usually falls asleep within a few minutes of the plane being airborne also.

Once they wake up it's just a case of keeping them amused. Bring their favourite books or toys, if you have a portable DVD player, things like that. Also have little lollies or something to suck on/chew on as the PP said, to help with the ear popping.

Good luck smile

My daughter and I are going on a little adventure to vist family this month. My daughter is 13 months. Has your baby ever been in a plane? and did they cope okay?

Yup its its sweet. Just give H something to suck on like a lolliepop on the way down. Will help pop her ears. This is what i did with B. You be right mate, its really easy and the flight is only 45 min smile

Yup its its sweet. Just give H something to suck on like a lolliepop on the way down. Will help pop her ears. This is what i did with B. You be right mate, its really easy and the flight is only 45 min smile

We leave at 5pm and get down there at 10pm.
I would ask for a seat in the aisle. The biggest problem I have when I fly with the kids is it is very difficult to reach you bag on the floor for food/drinks/toys etc. when the baby is on your lap. If you can lean out to the side to reach down it is better.

We leave at 5pm and get down there at 10pm.

Oh stop over in auckland aye. well the auckland to HB flight only takes 45min. I timed it when we did it smile Hate stopovers tho. Very annoying.
My kids have been on four 5 hour flights and two 3 hour flights and they were fine, but they got really bored so just make sure you've got some form of entertainment or you'll go mad lol! Hopefully your child will sleep the whole time if its a short flight though. My DS2 always falls asleep on take off and landing for some reason but wakes as soon as I move to get something or look after DS1 so it was looooong flights lol. Good luck!
My DD has been flying regularly since 5 weeks of age.
she did a 9 hour (?) flight to thailand at 11 months of age and coped well.

she's now 3 and we fly to sydney at least once every 2-3 months and she's fine for the most part.

if bub is breastfed, its a godsend.

if not, just bottle feed or use a dummy on take off and landing to help with any pressure on their little ears.

otherwise food and books etc
We just went to NY with a 13 month old, we let her have her dummy the whole time (she normally only has it to sleep), as we have found it works well for the pressure. It's definitely easier if it's sleep time for them, as she wanted to get up and walk around otherwise. As per others, an aisle seat works well.
Best items for us - sandwich, raffertys food pouches, sultanas (especially sultanas - a godsend!!), toys and books!
[quote name='M2A+1ontheway' date='04 May 2011 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1304485802' post='2981957']
My DD has been flying regularly since 5 weeks of age.
she did a 9 hour (?) flight to thailand at 11 months of age and coped well.

she's now 3 and we fly to sydney at least once every 2-3 months and she's fine for the most part.

if bub is breastfed, its a godsend.

if not, just bottle feed or use a dummy on take off and landing to help with any pressure on their little ears.

otherwise food and books etc
[/quote]

Hey there, just wondering did you breastfeed her while on the plane or had you already expressed into bottles beforehand?

I'm due in 4 weeks with my first girl and we're making a trip over to Sydney in mid-October. I guess I didn't really think about feeding on a plane until I read this!

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lmtf.lilypie.com...]
Sign in to follow this topic