Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Baby and Religious Values Rss

I am not any specific religion (ie I wouldn't describe myself as Christian, Muslim, Hindu etc) although I do have strong spiritual values (somewhat panentheistic) and I was wondering how people dealt with this with their children.

I didn't have a religious upbringing although my parents were from quazzi-Christian backgrounds, but was wondering if there was some sense in instilling some religious education into our child/children for the benefit of values. I won't be having then baptised/christened as we have a family tradition of allowing people to choose for themselves if they want to be or not and what faith/denomination.

Was wondering if these are questions other expectant parents have asked, and what they though or did?

(I know religion can be a touchy subject, and while it should go without saying, please be respectful of other peoples views)
I dont think you need to teach your child religion in order to instill values.

You can teach compassion, morals, loyalty, understanding of others, charity etc by the way you live your life - parents lead by example and as children grow and learn you can teach them all these things without having to use religion.

Non religious people do have values too smile
I too don't believe you need religion to teach values.

Values come from how you live and your childs environment - the people around them. If values are what you after, I prefer the "no strings attached" version and steering clear of religion. Values, spirituality and religion are all independent of each other, but can overlap at times. I believe values can be taught, but you can't make a person be religious or spiritual.
Hey Hey Hey

I'm here lol

my view.....

Many major holidays are around relegious holidays, Easter and Christmas..... Oh yes you may not believe in GOD but you will take the holiday. In the bible the ten commandments,
number 5 through to 10 are a given........ you make your mind up on the rest.

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

we are catholic. and my whole extended family is as well. anyway we have had all our children baptised and would never enter into the whole leaving it for the kids to decide when they are older because they wouldn't decide when they are older. My son goes to a catholic primary school and my husband and i both went to catholic primary and he also went to a catholic high school.

my brother on the other hand his wife is from another church..... so when they had kids mum said are you going to get them baptised etc... and the answer was yes and named another religion... which i think is just stupied because neither he or his wife were that religion. I stuck my nose in and said look its stupied doing that because if you are going to do it do it the same as the parent and if one parent is practising and the other is not do it that way.

my friend did the whole leaving it to him to decide when he is older and she is catholic and he also went to the same school as my son and i couldn't understand why she did all this but didn't get him baptised. and when they all did their first communion he couldn't do it so then she had to get him baptised .... at 8 years old because he wanted to be like his friends.

we are not happy clappy type people we just take the kids to church sometimes and hopefully they will behave themselves.... devine intervention my husband hopes.

I am not sure about the whole naming thing or dedicating them to the church .................

You can teach compassion, morals, loyalty, understanding of others, charity etc by the way you live your life - parents lead by example and as children grow and learn you can teach them all these things without having to use religion.

My thoughts exactly smile

I do believe in God, but I do not belong to a Religion as such.

We got our daughters baptised in a church that is non-denominational so they have options for when they are older. This way if they choose a certain school, or a certain lifestyle or they wish to get married in a church etc then they don't have to get baptised but each to their own. A friend of ours only just got baptised and he is 30. We also did it as my DH and I like the idea of 'God Parents.

We are just going with the idea at the moment that we go about our life as normal at this stage and as their understanding grows we will explain to them that some people believe different things. We will do what both of our parents did for us and if they want to go to church, then we will take them but if they don't they won't be made to go. (DH and I are atheists). It is such a daunting thing to worry about though. What if we teach them wrong? What if put them in the hands of a church or something similar and they teach them wrong? SO I am with you - we will let them decide.

Anyway, DD is only five months old but I'm hoping she can find out more about all religions as she grows up more for educational reasons so she knows about the world, but then she can also make up her own mind whether she wants to believe something or not. I certainly won't be forcing anything on her like it was forced on me as a child. I have horrible memories of being told I would "burn in hell" if I "sinned".

I agree, I'm not religious and don't find myself even interested in any form of god but I would like my daughter to grow up knowing about other religions and what they believe in so that she can make up her mind for herself.

My thoughts exactly smile

I do believe in God, but I do not belong to a Religion as such.

I'm the same. I believe in God, I'm a Christian, but I will not be labeled as what 'type'. My friendly neighbourhood mormons drop around once a week or so (their church is a 5 min walk away) and I have told them flat out that if i drop into their church for a service, they will not be talking me into being baptised into their church. I would be going simply as a Christian who feels the need to go to a service. I told them I am a Christian, I don't have a brand, hehe.

I am going to get the minister of my families baptist church (they also go to whichever church feels right to them) to dedicate my daughter, probably in the park near the beach because I can't make it to his church (too far away). I feel its giving thanks to God for giving me my girl and promising to live the best lifestyle that we can.

Many major holidays are around relegious holidays, Easter and Christmas..... Oh yes you may not believe in GOD but you will take the holiday.

But not everybody celebrates them though... there isn't a real lot of choice about taking the holidays as most places shut. I guess you could say the same about religious people taking the public holidays for non religious reasons - such as the queens birthday. or non Australians taking Australia day off.

Might be good to remind others that the religious public holidays weren't declared by god. They were a convenient date that suited many spiritual/religious celebrations that fit into society at the time. Using Christmas for example...we all have a holiday, some celebrate xmas, others celebrate the solstice. Just because the church/gov declares a holiday/celebration for something - doesn't mean that everybody is celebrating the same thing.... wink
I like the idea of our children having religious exposure to many different religions. Just thinking about our immediate friends with have Christians (Baptist, Lutheran and Catholic are the ones I know about), a couple of Buddhists/Shinto, a few Muslims and a few Jewish, a few staunch atheists and some that are more pagan. (functions at our house are a little like the UN!smile)

They are all great people (wouldn't be friends if they weren't) so I suppose our children through them may gain positive values from religion, just not directly through religious instruction.

On holiday's and Australia day:
In Adelaide, Maughan Uniting Church has an Australia Day Service that involves a sermon from a Christian, a Muslim and Hindu (I think) on a particular topic, since Australia Day isn't a religious day. I was talking to the Minister about it and she said it is a great day and they are always surprised how similar the message of each of their sermons are.

I agree.
Religious exposure is something our children and ourselves encounter regardless of anyones choice.

To me, values have nothing to do with religion.
Sign in to follow this topic