Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Your Baby - General Chat
  5. "Your baby can read" Anyone tried it?

"Your baby can read" Anyone tried it? Rss

I was just watching an infomercial about the "your baby can read" system, sounds too good to be true so I was just wondering if anyone has done it/bought it that can give me some opinions on whether they thought it was worth the money?
I saw this too...made me feel like a complete failure of a mother unless i bought it.

To be completely honest, I think these types of things should be avoided.

If you begin to teach your child how to read and write, add and subract all before school, what do they do in the first 3 years of school????

I can tell you from experience that children who are taught these things too early become bored and disruptive. They also learn through one on one interaction instead of learning how to do things on their own through trial and error.

I'm not saying that if they show an interest in writing their name and learning to count that you shouldn't teach and encourage this learning. I'm more concerned with people teaching these children too early and not allowing the child to develop their own ways of learning that will benefit them when they do begin school.

Let babies be babies, and let children be children. They have enough time to grow up and no parent is a failure for not buying this thing.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm so sick of society pushing children to accomplish these things too early. Next thing you know if a baby doesn't come straight out of the womb walking, talking and quoting Shakesphere, they'll be deemed as illiterate before their first feed.
tongue
I don’t believe your statement above because I have 2 children who have used this product, and I must say its excellent, what you seem to forget that we have lots of children in the school system who don’t know how to read and understand what they are reading, why do you think it’s so bad to teach them a skill from an early age that they can use for the rest of their life without any struggle. Do you think it’s fun for a parent to do homework with a child who can even understand the question that been asked on the paper, most of the time you will find the parent doing the homework and the child just writing down whatever the parent said to write.

look I’m sorry but, I’d rather have a child that Thrives at school then have him struggle every day. I think instead of dummying our children down, we should give them the best experience at school as possible,
what wrong with doing their homework quickly and then finding more time to play and do other activates that they also enjoy.

why teach a child to read ? It’s as stupid as it sounds,,,,, why talk to your baby from the time its born, we wouldn’t want to force the child to understand language.

excellent product, I have recommended it to many of my friends as well and they love it to.
Where do you get it from? I am really interested in getting it for my son... is it very expensive?
i agree with kylie.

although it does look like a good program and may in fact work, it is not going to increase the literacy rate in schools, as the only parents that will buy the program will be A: the ones that would have actively tried to teach their children to read anyway, and B: the ones that can afford the $400 cost

and also, increasing their reading skills will also put them further ahead in schools, forcing terachers to group them with children 2, 3, even 4 years older than themselves which will most probably lead to social problems later on.

so personally i think i'll just let my baby read at the same age as 90% of all the other kids

I don’t believe your statement above because I have 2 children who have used this product, and I must say its excellent, what you seem to forget that we have lots of children in the school system who don’t know how to read and understand what they are reading, why do you think it’s so bad to teach them a skill from an early age that they can use for the rest of their life without any struggle. Do you think it’s fun for a parent to do homework with a child who can even understand the question that been asked on the paper, most of the time you will find the parent doing the homework and the child just writing down whatever the parent said to write.

look I’m sorry but, I’d rather have a child that Thrives at school then have him struggle every day. I think instead of dummying our children down, we should give them the best experience at school as possible,
what wrong with doing their homework quickly and then finding more time to play and do other activates that they also enjoy.

why teach a child to read ? It’s as stupid as it sounds,,,,, why talk to your baby from the time its born, we wouldn’t want to force the child to understand language.

excellent product, I have recommended it to many of my friends as well and they love it to.

teaching an infant to recognise words is different to teaching a child to read. you don't need to buy this product. you could get any flash card with a word and picture, dvd cover, takeaway logo etc Recognising a word is different to actually learning the process of reading. it is recommended that you don't do this program alone - but teach phonics alongside it.

Sure there are plenty of kids in the school system that can't read. thats what happens when you have large numbers of kids with 1 teacher. thats what happens when schools have to spend their day teaching kids what vegetables are, social skills or safety because parents no longer assume they have to do anything except babysit until the school day starts. (obviously that was a very broad generalised sweeping statement and i would hope most people aren't that extreme...although i do personally know a few relatives like this....smile) but the parents who are actively involved with their kids education should be helping teach them to read at the appropriate age anyway. If you are teaching a baby to read because you have no faith in the education system being able to do so, why would you choose to enrol your child in such a system?
By teaching them to read and I will assume properly, not just by using this product) you have just made the first couple of years of the academic side of school pointless, leaving the kid either bored stupid or having to go into other classes with older kids, in which case he is likely to cop it from both the younger and older students....so what was the benefit again?
Yeah I would have to agree with some of the other PP.

I'm sorry but what they are charging 400 dollars for I can make myself with some cardboard and Big colourful textas.

In all honestly I would prefer my child to learn in her own time and her own way. She is already learning alot of things quickly WITHOUT the program and some things I haven't even had to teach her she just studies people and does it on her own. Kids learn at their own rate and even in buying it who says it is going to work for your child?

Just let them enjoy being little ones and do things at their own pace and when the time comes they will start achieving academically.
Heres another point of view to consider:
When I was in kindergarten I could read and write at a basic level. My mother spent most evenings reading to me and teaching me to recognize words and correct pronounciation. I wasn't bored when I went to school, in fact I LOVED it. I loved books and was reading at an 10 year olds level by age 6. I also loved to express myself through writing, and even today love to read and write stories, poetry etc.
To say that teaching your child to read/write or understand words means that their first years of school are "pointless" or would be "boring", is total rubbish! There is so much more to school than just the reading and writing, but having the confidence to actually pick up a book gives a kid a real boost.

Yes, let babies be babies, and children be children, but lets not forget that children love to learn, and their little brains enjoy the stimulation and time with mum or dad while they are learning.

Quite frankly the only reason i don't have this system is because of the cost, but I have been reading to my son since he was born and he is now 6 months old and loves books and being read too. I always point out the words, and use cut out pictures to create associations. As far as i'm concerned I'm doing him a favor. I don't want my kid to struggle in a classroom which may be over full with one stressed teacher. As we all know, once a kid falls behind, they are most often left behind and often fall through the cracks. Who suffers then? The child does.

If you can give your kids a head start, in a fun and non pressured way, then go for it using any means you can.
I want to get it too but its so much money! Wouldnt it be just as good to down load or buy some flash cards and spend time with your child? If you have a school child, as I do, you know that when they begin to read its all remembering by pictures, reconising colours, shapes, letters etc, and by putting it into a song they learn it so fast.

I agree with your thoughts. There is no harm in teaching your babies to recognize words, and enjoy reading. If something isn't a struggle for a child, then they tend to love doing it. I want the best for my kids and although I cannot afford the $400 for this system, the idea behind it, is fantastic.

I agree with your thoughts. There is no harm in teaching your babies to recognize words, and enjoy reading. If something isn't a struggle for a child, then they tend to love doing it. I want the best for my kids and although I cannot afford the $400 for this system, the idea behind it, is fantastic.

Its great to be able to give your child a head start before school.
My son's both knew there abc's, reading, shapes etc and the teachers were high 5-ing him! Its wonderful if a parent cares that much to be able to put some time aside everyday to encourage something that is only going to take their child to the next step.
Sign in to follow this topic