Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

What to do Rss

Ok so 2 weeks ago my ex-partners cousin asked me to mind her 6 month old baby girl while she went into hospital....and has not come back to collect her. (i later found out that she lied about going to hospital as she posted pics on FB of her big weekend out)
For these 2 weeks i have called her and sent her txt messages but she is telling me that she doesnt want her little girl back.
My son and myself have become very very attached to her and i dont know what to do. I am a single mother and i work. I would love to take this beautiful little girl on but it's hard.
Whenever i think about having to give her back i cry. I know that her mother doesnt take good care of her and she is so happy here with me.
I am considering fostering her but i know that this mother is claiming a centrelink payment for this child and if i do this it might cause trouble for me.
There is no way i can afford to take her on and support her by myself, especially since i will have to pay for daycare etc while i am working...
I'm stuck in such a bad situation!!
If I were you, I would call child services and ask their advice, however as you are not blood related to this child I would be inclined to ask 'for a friend' if you know what I mean.

Good luck smile
Wow!
I would ring DOCS...poor little bubba girl!
x
That is horrible that the mother doesnt want her. It would be great if you could foster that little girl and give her a loving home, but i too can understand that once you stop the other ladies centrelink payments she will want her back. Thi9 such a hard situation, i would talk to children services and see what they have to say. You've been put in an incredibly hard situation, i hope it works out well.
Oh my goodness, my mouth dropped open when reading this.... firstly you are a really lovely person taking care of the child and keeping your home running, amazing person. But you need to speak to the authorities, they need to know and it sounds like the mother of the child needs help emotionally and the authorities can help her and the child. She maybe has depression or issues that take time to heal. You must be a fantastic mother to help out, thank goodness she came to you. Good luck with everything and i hope it goes well with you, the child and the mum.

Ok so 2 weeks ago my ex-partners cousin asked me to mind her 6 month old baby girl while she went into hospital....and has not come back to collect her. (i later found out that she lied about going to hospital as she posted pics on FB of her big weekend out)
For these 2 weeks i have called her and sent her txt messages but she is telling me that she doesnt want her little girl back.
My son and myself have become very very attached to her and i dont know what to do. I am a single mother and i work. I would love to take this beautiful little girl on but it's hard.
Whenever i think about having to give her back i cry. I know that her mother doesnt take good care of her and she is so happy here with me.
I am considering fostering her but i know that this mother is claiming a centrelink payment for this child and if i do this it might cause trouble for me.
There is no way i can afford to take her on and support her by myself, especially since i will have to pay for daycare etc while i am working...
I'm stuck in such a bad situation!!

Um i would be calling the police or child services! Cos remember at any moment she can swing back in and take her away and treat her like ***! I would get everything formally listed and logged so if you need it the info is there. What a *** person to do such a thing - i would get the police onto her for abandonment!!
I would ring DOCS. They have a payment (if you meet their criteria) called supported care for relatives caring for children where they would be at risk of returning to their parents, there does not have to be any legal orders in place for it to be paid. If mum has abandoned her then that is really concerning.

If you receive the payment it does not count towards your income and thus will not affect your centrelink entitlements. Even if your not sure I would contact sooner rather than later as they can back pay a certain amount but won't back pay past the first point of contact.

DoCs might already be aware of this mother if there has been issues about her parenting in the past.
My heart sank when I read this, but I also saw red. How can people be so irresponsible, and downright cruel to the people they're supposed to love and protect??

Okay, vent over. Not that I'm judging at all, but how old is she? Is she maybe feeling like she's missing what should be a fun time of life?? Not an excuse at all in my book, and not necessarily age related, but my brother's ex had a child at 16, and she has spent the rest of her life finding other people to look after and raise him so she can go out and party. He spent more time at his grandmother's than with her (but she claimed all benefits) and he has lots of issues now.

I would, like the others have said, definitely ask DOCS and everyone else what rights you have in this situation. Check websites, help lines, legal aid, whoever you think can help. I don't think I'd be able to give up a child after looking after them for that long either! And you are the one providing a stable, caring, loving environment for her. Her mother should not be entitled to receive any benefits at all. If she is doing this as a cry for help, then she should get help, but from what you've said, she has decided being a parent is too hard, and she is only looking out for herself.

Is there anyone else who can confirm the attitude and actions of the mother? It always helps when you have someone to back you up.

Please update us as to what happens, it's so unfair that some children don't get the absolute love and support they need, especially at such a young age.
Sign in to follow this topic