Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Your Baby - General Chat
  5. Powder in baby's nappy - dangerous???

Powder in baby's nappy - dangerous??? Rss

Was at mother's group today & the nurse said that links have been made between using powder in baby girl's nappies and cervical cancer later in life. As with everything where bubs are involved there are always lots of opinions / myths / facts to confuse, and I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything on whether powder is safe?
Never heard that one before! I thought the issue with using powder was to do with babies inhaling it. It appears these days that everything is somehow linked to cancer

Hi, I was told that as well. It is Talc powder they are talking about. They recommend using powder that does not have this in it. I use the one with corn starch (I think that is what it is called) and it says it is talcum free. Hope this helps

hi
I heard this about 8 years ago when my neice was born. I have never used any powder, I hate the thought of my boys inhaling it. I dont usually use anything except pawpaw cream when there is a rash.
Hi,

Yeah I have heard this one too.I'm not sure if I believe it or not.

Posted by: kclee
Never heard that one before! I thought the issue with using powder was to do with babies inhaling it. It appears these days that everything is somehow linked to cancer

You are so right, pretty much anything we do is linked to cancer somehow.

I've heard that too, and just to be on the safe side have been using Curash zinc + cornstarch powder instead (I also use this on myself now too, rather than talc) for heat rash. For other nappy rash I use Nature's Child Organic Bottom Balm.

I don't use talc on DS anyway but I always thought that putting it in their nappy irritates the skin when they urinate.

It is the mineral talcum that is the link to cervical cancer and the older types of baby powder contained high amounts of these.
Although if you look most contain corn starch or a similar starch. The corn starch is the same as corn flour you use in cooking.
I use bepanthen on bad rashes or let them go bare bum when it's warm enough!

I haven't heard of this before, but you wouldn't think that it would still be on the market if it was dangerous.
But if you're worried, and don't want to take the chances, then just use corn flower. Its practically natural, it's used in cooking and my mother used in on me instead of baby powder and i don't have cancer (that I know of).
I would say you should only use talc-free powder. I use MADE OF organic baby powder and you can't tell the difference between J&J and MADE OF. It is safe and a gentle.
Sign in to follow this topic